Thank to everyone who has inquired about Canoe Bay by calling us or emailing through our website www.CanoeBay.ca. We have almost 200 people eagerly waiting for additional details as the project progresses. We will begin issuing a newsletter every two to three months when there is news to share.
What’s the Timing?
Of all the questions we receive regarding Canoe Bay, the most frequent is around timing. While the answer to this question is dependent upon approvals, trade availability and weather, we tentatively plan to break ground in Spring, 2018 and have the first elements of the project complete in Fall, 2020.
What are the Choices?
While subject to change, the plan is currently as follows:
• 26 one- and two-storey townhomes with two –bedroom and two-bedroom plus den options
• 40 one- and two-storey loft apartments located atop the retail shops and with a view of Mooney’s Bay
• 36 apartment flats located in three 3-storey buildings with 4 two-bedroom suites per floor
• 240 one- and two-bedroom apartments in a six-storey apartment building
• 275 studio and one-bedroom suites in a six-storey retirement residence
Focus Group Findings
Three focus groups were held in August to explore what people are looking for in the seniors’ apartment elements of the project. Our thanks to the more than sixty participants who spent in excess of two hours each sharing their thoughts on suite configurations, fixtures and finishes, services, amenities and how the project will interact with the retirement residence.
Some key findings:
• People are largely considering a move in order to travel, minimize home maintenance, enjoy a more social atmosphere among like-mind and like-aged people, and consider their future as issues like more limited mobility may arise.
• Most single people wanted a one-bedroom apartment while couples favoured
• Quality building was important and those present wanted suite features such as a balcony, in-suite laundry, walk-in shower, large windows and available storage.
• People wanted minimal services included but did want the option to opt into housekeeping, an emergency response system and possibly meals at the adjacent residence.
• Parking, a multipurpose party room and access to a swimming pool were the most popular amenities.
Site Plan Submitted
Canoe Bay Development Inc. hit a project milestone in September when we submitted the application for Site Plan Control to the City of Ottawa. We’ve been working with the City complete the steps necessary to rezone the land to facilitate the planned development.
Feedback was received this summer from the City’s design review committee regarding the Canoe Bay submissions originally put forward at the end of April. This feedback included responses from the City of Ottawa’s Planning and Parks Departments, as well as community concerns and various other impacted groups, such as the Rideau Valley Conservation Authority and Hydro Ottawa.
The revised application was able to incorporate much of the feedback received to date and provides a more comprehensive and technical plan for a detailed review by City staff. Although it will take some time and may require modifications, a Site Plan Approval from the City of Ottawa would be one of the final steps required before construction could commence next Spring.
The Project Team
We’re pleased to announce that the key members of the design and construction team for Canoe Bay have been chosen. You’ll no doubt recognize many well-known and respected names among our group:
• RLA Architecture – Project Architect
• PCL Construction – Construction Project Managers
• David Schaeffer Engineering Ltd – Civil Engineers
• JAIN Sustainable Engineering Solutions -Mechanical and Electrical Engineers
• FOTENN – Project Planners and Landscape Architecture
• Parsons – Traffic Engineers
• Annis O’Sullivan Vollebekk Ltd. – Surveyors
• Paterson Group – Geotechnical and Environmental Engineers
• Gradient Wind Engineering Inc. –
• Greenhouse Marketing – Marketing & Communications